Know the Signs and Causes of an Overheated Vehicle
Here at Gene Messer Kia, our goal is to not only provide you with many vehicle options, but help keep you on the road too. Should something like your vehicle overheating happen, we want you to have the knowledge of what causes it, how you can spot it, and what to do to repair it, that’s why we’ve put together a car overheating primer.
How Do You Know Your Car is Overheating?
- The check engine light comes on
- The temperature gauge rises above the normal levels
- You have reduced power
- You smell a funny odor coming from your car
- You see steam coming from under the hood
What Causes Your Car to Overheat?
- You might have low coolant levels
- There might be a coolant leak
- You have a bad water pump in your vehicle
- There’s an issue with the thermostat
What Do You Do When Your Car Overheats?
- Make sure to pull over to a safe space on the road if you’re experiencing any of the signs of overheating and turn the engine and air conditioning off
- Open the hood to allow the engine to cool, but don’t touch it because it will be hot
- Contact our service center and schedule service for your vehicle
How Can I Prevent Overheating?
- Always make sure your coolant levels are topped off when necessary during auto service
- Check your hoses in your vehicle for leaks and cracks
You can learn more and schedule a service appointment with us here in Lubbock as we’d be happy to look into any vehicle issues you might have and help keep your vehicle on the road.